RICKSTER IS THE COLUMNIST FOR THE WEEKLY PUBLICATION, "THE SOMERS RECORD"

Search The World... In Briefs!

Friday, October 13, 2023

DONOR-OPERATED

ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED BY THE SOMERS RECORD (09-28-23)

 

     There are wealthy people, and then there are people that are in a different stratosphere of rich. They've already set aside money for their grandkids (in a trust fund, so named because they don't trust their kids). They have a secondary residence where they do their wintering in the summer and their summering in the fall. They also bought a fourth home because they don't remember where the third one is and are too embarrassed to ask. They've spent a substantial amount on plastic surgery, and an additional sum to make it look like they haven't had any plastic surgery, and now they look similar to how they did before the plastic surgery. 

     But then there are others who recognize a wider responsibility to society. Somebody once asked pitcher Tug McGraw what he intended to do with his World Series winnings, and he famously replied, "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish Whiskey. The other ten percent I'll probably waste." While returning most of that money back into the economy is a noble gesture, many people here in Westchester have benefitted from the fruits of hard work or circumstance and are eager for a way to pass that good fortune on.

     Looking through the spam folder of my email account I discovered that I myself am the recipient of such charity. A certain "Lerynne West from an unassuming community of Redfield Iowa" was apparently the "victor of six hundred and eighty seven Million Powerball bonanza Lottery" dollars, and my email address was "haphazardly drawn from the email global lottery framework." Now, I know I'm not rich, since my name is Rick and I missed it by one letter. But I'm still trying to figure out how to spend the $8.3 million I was told that I won by a certain Mrs. Nicole Marois of Burkina Faso. 

     While we're waiting, there are others better suited to bring donors together with organizations who are doing work at a grassroots level, engaging the young, the less  fortunate and other deserving folks with programs designed to engage, enrich and further their development in all sorts of ways. My wife is a program officer for the Westchester Community Foundation, and one of her most rewarding duties is to visit these groups and find out in person what they are up to.

     One such partnership seeks to support women service veterans with PTSD by helping them forge a therapeutic, on-ground bond with horses in a private space as they learn about the animals, their care, handling and grooming.

     I've never been great with horses, but I can see where a day of grooming might help our relationship. "Whoa," I say, "what's with the long face? I'm going to fix you up real nice, all the studs'll be hot-to-trot. Listen, that hairstyle is basically a mullet- business in the front and party in the back. You already have a tail if you need a party further back. Now, let's talk about your hair color. Have you always been a natural roan? I recommend a few palomino highlights. "Piebald by choice?" Another option. Also, let's talk about your shoes: seven pairs of flats is a nightmare, pardon the expression."

     Last Saturday I was lucky enough to tag along to Mount Vernon for a rehearsal of a community drum line, featuring coed performers of all ages. They learn confidence, discipline, showmanship and how to relate to others out of their peer and age group, not to mention the music and choreography itself. When I was a kid I used to practice the drums down in our basement, and when my Mom needed to get my attention she used to flick the lights on and off from the upstairs switch. I just thought it was part of the light show. Exasperated, she said, "It's like you're blind, deaf and dumb down there." I said, "Well, I can speak, so I'm not dumb," and she gave me that look she gives me when something I say instantly proves her correct.

     You're probably thinking, Rick, how is it possible for you to make everything all about YOU? And I say, well, when you get your own newspaper column, then YOU can make it all about me. But this truly isn't about me, it's about the people who find the resources to give, those who direct the money where it can do the most good, those who work and volunteer at organizations built to uplift and those who eagerly accept the opportunity to grow from these programs. And on behalf of all of them, I say thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment