RICKSTER IS THE COLUMNIST FOR THE WEEKLY PUBLICATION, "THE SOMERS RECORD"

Search The World... In Briefs!

Friday, January 5, 2018

MINDING OUR OWN BUSINESSES

SPECIAL TO THE SOMERS RECORD (09-21-17)

     Somers Celebration Day was held by the Chamber of Commerce last Saturday at the Towne Center, right in middle of towne. It was a chance for local businesses to set up a booth, interact with people and present their goods, or their services if they didn't have anything good. It was a beautiful, sunny day, and I brought my dog, the world-famous Gidget, to stroll the festivities.

     Walking with Gidget is a time-consuming affair, because people love to stop and chat with her. She looks like a stuffed animal, and god only knows what she stuffed herself with when I wasn't looking- I happen to be missing a pair of socks. Moms with their kids approached one after the other to say hello. "Aren't you cute! And so friendly! Gorgeous!" They say it in our general direction, and some of the compliments miss Gidget and fall near me, so I scoop them up quickly, but I'm sick of being ignored. "She sheds, you know." I point out. "And she has a hairy back." They ignore me and exchange phone numbers with Gidget.

     But we're here to celebrate Somers. The first thing we came to was a zeppole food truck, which was a good reason to celebrate. It also told me we were working in reverse alphabetical order, so I was going to have to walk to the other side if I wanted Asian food.

     There was a DJ there, playing some tunes and making general announcements. A DJ can make just about any event sound like a radio call-in contest. If there was a lost set of car keys he would have announced it, and I bet if I had been the 25th caller I would have won them.

     The Somers Democrats were there, as were the Somers Republicans. And I must say that it was heartening to see that both sides of the political spectrum could come together in the spirit of bipartisanship. Failing that, at least no one was hurt seriously, or even humorously. I think a lot more could get done in Washington if a zeppole truck was introduced into the negotiations.

     There were a bunch of bouncy houses set up over near the bank parking lot. Looking closer, these were luxury bouncy townhomes with a bouncy eat-in kitchen and bouncy master bath suite. There were bouncy slides and bouncy central air conditioning. I wanted to go in and see if there was a bouncy TV in there to check some bouncy football scores, but I was too tall.

     Town Supervisor Rick Morrissey was there hanging out, the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts had a tents set up, probably the only ones properly assembled. The Young Explorers were also in attendance. Few people know that Ponce de Leon was an original Young Explorer. He discovered Florida for the Europeans while looking for the "Fountain of Youth," so he wouldn't have to join the Old Explorers. There were cheerleaders, Irish dancers, a teenage rock band and other attractions.

     There was a real estate company there, and I hope they made a sale or two. I've been a resident of Somers for almost 20 years, and I think it's a great place to live. I'm thinking of investing in a second home, possibly an upscale bouncy house. I plan to pay for it with a bouncy check.

No comments:

Post a Comment